> As for WordPress -- I'm running WP 1.5 and AFAIK my feeds return the proper
> status codes, and I didn't have to hack them to do it.  Maybe it's some
> plugin people are using?

That would be the "Confuse Syndic8 Reviewers" plug-in.  :-)  But
seriously, something like that would explain why some WP 1.5 feeds are
fine and others share this common problem.

As for redirection, I didn't notice that, but it's not too hard for it
to be a programming error without involving redirection.  As y'all
probably know, PHP can modify the headers, as I did in this quick
example (which also returns valid HTML content despite returning a 404
result code):
http://www.just-stuart.com/geeks/improper_404.php

I was kinda curious if IE with "friendly error messages" enabled would
show it as an error or show the page, but it shows the page, just like
when "friendly error messages" are not enabled, and just like Mozilla
and Opera (using versions 6, 1.0.7, and 8.50, respectively).

Hmm... maybe the plug-in (if it is one) is using the 404 result code
as a way to discourage indexing and/or email harvesting? 
Intentionally returning an incorrect code would be a pretty lame thing
to do, IMHO, but there's lots of worse behavior on the 'Net!

Anyway, I will continue to mark these as needing repair, so if someone
out there is doing this on purpose with their feed, know there are
consequences!
:-)

--
Stuart Whitmore
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.just-stuart.com/


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/IRislB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 




Reply via email to