Hi,

I agree that a version number would be helpful; it will be even more
helpful when the **next** version of a syslog standard is published.

I suggest that you should consider adding two fields to a standardized
syslog format: the (IANA-assigned) enterprise ID and a version number.
(The IETF should have an enterprise ID, and I know other IETF work has
considered 0 to be the IETF enterpriseID, but check with Joyce Reynolds
whether 0 should be used for this or not.)

This would allow vendors to migrate their existing proprietary versions
of syslog to an intermediate standardized message format, without
forcing them to go all the way to fully standardized content. Some
syslog messages may be encoded in hardware, or in licensed binary
software, or in code the vendor cannot economically justify changing all
at once, and will be difficult to migrate the content to a
fully-standard syslog format. However, the embedded software that
creates the final messages for the wire may be able to wrap the content
in a standarized message format, improving manageability and
interoperability.

Applications that read syslog messages may be able to support some
vendor formats and not others, and the enterprise ID and the version
number provide quick and useful filtering of messages.

dbh