>Let me phrase my question rather bluntly: does it pay to provide a very
>minimal set of config settings given the fact that almost every vendor
>has very different ways to do this. Also, in my experience customers
>tend to use those vendor-specifc ways, simply because they need it. To
>be honest, I think we will be hesitant to implement standard
>configuration simply because I do not see any customer demand for such.
>I think we can put our ressources to efforts that receive a higher
>demand.
>
>It may just be my personal feeling ... what do the other implementors
>think?
>
>Rainer

Having a minimum set of configuration options would probably be a waste
of time in my view as all implementations are so different.

Since all implementations use (or can be made to use) a config file, my
vote is for a free form string variable. The format of the text depends
on the vendor. All we need to agree on is a standard cookie to identify
the vendor and version.

Regards

Andrew