Hi Rainer,

I agree that it may not be a good use of time to try to develop
configuration capabilities when there is little agreement about a common
approach. My main point was that SNMP is not a particularly good choice
for fully configuring a syslog implementation, and if that work were to
be done, then it should be done to be compatible with the netconf
standards-in-development-work for fully configuring managed entities.

I do believe that a small amount of SNMP configuration probably would be
worthwhile. SNMP configuration capabilities should focus on those
non-static aspects that are already relatively common in
implementations, and where small management operations are likely to be
useful and implementation-independent, such as enabling/disabling
operation or setting the IP addresses of clients/servers. I anticipate
that this would include probably less than ten managed objects, would
not be very time-consuming to include, and would be useful for managing
deployed implementations.

Lack of standardization of such basic configuration parameters makes it
harder for operators to use syslog.

My $.02
dbh