Sam,

The following paragraphs are on how well different authentications address
the security threats for syslog. Masquerade, modification and disclosure are
identified in the draft as primary threats and message stream modification
as secondary threat.

Mutual Authentication:
Masquerade: fully addressed
Modification: fully addressed
Disclosure: fully addressed
Message Stream Modification: fully addressed

Server Authenticaiton Only:
Masquerade: partly addressed, the client is left without being authenticated
Modification: fully addressed
Disclosure: fully addressed
Message Stream Modification: fully addressed

No Authentication:
Masquerade: not addessed
Modification: not well addressed because of MITM
Disclosure: not well addressed because of MITM
Message Stream Modification: not well addressed  because of MITM

Thanks,
Miao