Kurt wrote:

> Any better?  Sure, Maurice Greene and Carl Lewis are/were certainly faster
> than Brown and Drummond, and they are experienced relay men.  Assuming you
> had a time machine so that everyone was in his prime and that you could
> convince 4 big-time stars to actually pass the baton to one another, you
> could certainly put together a faster team than the one you list.  And if
> they don't have to all be Americans several other names would come to mind
> as possibilities too.

MO and Carl are definitely faster over 100m from the blocks on a straight ..
We're talking about relay running here .. I believe Drummond hands down to
be the best ever on the 1st leg .. Can you see either Carl or Mo on the
first leg running the turn AND handing off as efficiently ?? And Brown timed
9.1 on his second leg in LosAngeles with a bad knee ligament !!! THAT is
anchor speed .. And he had the ability to pass the baton well .. Relay
running is more than just 100m times as the US has proven far too many times
.. With the speed we have put on the track over the last decade the record
should be below 37.00 .. However it has been the combinations that have lead
to slower times and disaster in some cases ..Even taking just this past
season into account .. The HSI team with Curtis Johnson ran faster than the
US team which simply replaced him with Brian Lewis who on the clock is the
"faster" athlete .. But Curtis seems to run better third legs .. Brian
always seems to give up a little ground there .. I'm a big MO Greene fan,
but don't see him or Carl outrunning Bob Hayes on an anchor .. Do you ?? I
don't either of them out running Drummond on a first leg or Calvin Smith on
a third leg .. Only possible spot left might be second leg and I am suspect
of their interior baton abilities .. If I were going to make a change there
it might be for Leroy Burrell who had experience handling the baton on the
second leg and showed his ability to pass the baton as well as receive it ..

Conway Hill