Ed wrote:

> > Conways dream team looks like this:
> >
> > 4x1
> >
> > 1- Jon Drummond
> > 2- Ron Brown
> > 3 - Calvin Smith
> > 4- Bob Hayes
> >

> > Assuming that no duplicates are allowed, I'd enter this squad in the 4 x
1
> > 1-Mike Marsh
> > 2-Maurice Greene
> > 3-Tommy Smith
> > 4-Carl Lewis
>
> I would bet on the second team any day.  Bob Hayes is the only member of
the
> first team who from an historical perspective could run with Greene,
Lewis,
> or Tommie Smith.  Yes, Calvin Smith had some notable performances (at
least
> one was at altitude), but he, Drummond, and Brown are not in the same
league
> as the guys on the other team.
>
> Even if the second team had mediocre handoffs, they'd still win.

While I agree with you from the stand point of open 100m racing .. We are
talking about a different animal in sprint relay running .. Relay running
requires other skills and techniques, which is why the "fastest" teams on
the track do not always win .. And while I might be wiling to toy with my #2
leg, I submit that Drummond and C. Smith just might be the best ever on the
first and third legs ..

Conway Hill