Netters

> > I wonder how a 1:26:52.3 20k track walk measures up against a 8:23.26 3000m or
> > a 2-19 marathon (for example) on little red book tables.>>
>
> Nobody has any idea, and won't for several years. Indeed, we still have no idea how
>good the Dragila vault marks are, really. Assigning any kind of "legendary" value to
>a WR in an event in its first couple of years is pointless. if I vote for Dragila as
>AOY it'll be because of her dominance
against her peers, relatively speaking, not because of any WRs she has set.

This might help some.  Ivanova's record is close to her road time.  WIthin
seconds.  Which is the same with the men's walks.  When I did an initial
comparison of records based on the standard differences between men and women I
predicted about 3 years ago that the World Best for the walk either road or
track would fall to the 1:26 range.  Right now the women's walk record is at
90% of the men's best and Stacy is at about 77%.   Because of the technique
limitations I think the women's walks records will get to about 8% difference.
Now interestingly enough.  The woman's marathon record, which as an event has
much more money and much more development has just now reached 90%.  It isn't
the best way to do a comparison but at least it makes some sense of it.

Michael Rohl
Head Coach X-C, T&F
Mansfield University