From: Ed and Dana Parrot [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 07:48:54 -0800
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Pre-league records

Jim -

> Should a mark set by someone from a league member school prior to the
formal organization of the league be >considered the league record?
> My gut feeling is no, therefore giving rise to the possibility that a
school  record could be better than the league mark >(which is not a
problem). This is  more to determine what the existing league record was
(and by extension
> whether it was broken in a meet last weekend)

Much easier than the four minute mile question (although poring through an
old T&F News issue is very enjoyable) - of course not.  A league is an
entity that din't exist when the mark was set.  If an 8th grader in a middle
school runs 4:15 for the mile, and didn't get faster when he got to high
school, the high school wouldn't consider that the school record.  It's the
same thing.

- Ed Parrot

http://mail2web.com/ .