My gut and my reason tell me "No, it should not count." This past November
a reporter called my father to ask if I had won three straight XC
championships in high school. He remembered (correctly) that I had been
second my sophomore year, and then he asked the journalist why he was
interested in such ancient history (60s). Apparently a runner attending
another high school in my old school's conference was shooting for the hat
trick, and the reporter was trying to figure out if (or when) it had
happened before. My problem with it (when I learned of the exchange) is
that my old school is in a different conference now (of recent vintage; the
old conference still exists, with most of the same schools). Even if I had
won three titles in a row in conference A, why should that be relevant to a
conference B (and its records) that wouldn't even exist for decades? In
fact, there's a good chance that my school mile record (which still stands,
long ago eclipsed as the record in my old conference) is faster than any
mile that's been run in the (weaker) new conference. I sure can't think of
a compelling reason why it should be the conference record in the new
league! Of course, since we all run 1600s now... (don't get me started).

I agree with Ed: league marks start being kept the first day the league exists.

Steve

--
Steve Grathwohl * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"You need to have a compulsive relationship with the music.You have got to