On 5 May 2010 23:12, Jonas Minnberg <sas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, as you may guess from my topic. Removing unnecessary stuff is a good
> thing IMHO. I thought the idea behind cycleway=track and cycleway=lane was
> to avoid having to draw lots of parallel ways. It avoids clutter on my
> limited resolution GPS. It makes routing easier & faster. And it makes
> things more consistent.

So you want to remove information to improve your rendering
experience, imho this isn't good enough, simply exclude this
information if you don't want it, but don't deprive others, and
especially don't disrespect the work of others, upsetting other
mappers that have spent a large amount of time mapping individual ways
accuractely.

> landuse=wood on top of sidewalks inside cities? Doesn't feel like correct
> usage of the tag to me...

So people are tagging strips of grass/trees between foot paths and roads?

>> > * Remove walkways that are just side walks.
>>
>> Why do you want to remove information if things are correctly tagged?
>
> See above.

Unlike cycleways, these are usually physically separated from the road
way, if they aren't that's one thing, otherwise you are disrespecting
the work of others that mapped this in the first place.

> This is just for looks, to avoid POIs in buildings to overlap POIs on the
> street. It also gives mapnik more space to render in.

POIs are useful for more than just rendering, you shouldn't just place
items inaccurately to have them render nicer.

> In this case I meant when you have two rectangular areas right next to each
> other, no road. Sharing points means they will render better. But in this
> case I am fine letting each area have it's own points even though they lie
> almost on top of each other, whatever is most common.

As I said in my previous email, if areas share nodes/sections of ways
you should use relations instead of duplicating ways, otherwise put
the areas close to each other without sharing nodes as it makes it too
difficult to edit individual areas in future... You are after all
trying to reduce clutter, so start with shared segments...