On Wed, 5 May 2010 17:55:10 +0200, Pieren <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What inevitable ?. I think that drawing sidewalks is silly and waste of
> time. Let say that 99.99% of the unclassified and residential roads can
be
> walked on both sides, why should we draw the sidewalks everywhere ? It
> would
> be more clever to tag where sidewalks are missing or not allowed, imo.
Say
> where things are missing, not where they are obviously authorized. Or
you
> add "oneway=no" to all roads as well ?

In my area, sidewalks are most certainly NOT the norm.  There are very few
of them, and where they are present they are typically separated from the
road by a boulevard.  Other areas of my city have sidewalks that are right
up against the roads.

I can see the merit of representing sidewalks that are right up against
the road by using an attribute on the road.  However for sidewalks
separated from the road by a boulevard I'd think it makes more sense to
draw them in as separate paths.

Just my 2c.
Tyler