I sincerely don't think it's length is a problem. There are longer accepted
tags(like parking:condition:right:time_interval), and to shorten it would
make it harder to remember and recognize (i.e. humans would be the ones
paying the price). Tags like addr:* and ele are okay to abbreviate because
they are used more frequently, but the others not so much.

I do think this particular pricing scheme(all_you_can_eat) is useful.
However I do agree that perhaps it would be better to include other pricing
schemes.
The problem is, I have no idea how they are called, or what they are. For
example, what is this daily menu you speak of?
Also, one place may have more than one pricing scheme, so I'm not sure the
additional complexity is worth it.
I still think all_you_can_eat=yes/no/only is a good idea.

I understand there is some resistance to all_you_can_eat:opening_hours, but
I do think it's genuinely useful, as long as it is only used when it is
meant to be used(it is not a replacement of opening_hours). I gave one
example of use of all_you_can_eat:opening_hours=* in my previous message.
Another example is a restaurant that only offers all-you-can-eat options
during lunch, and not during breakfast or dinner.
But due to it's complexity(and the small number of cases), perhaps I should
add a new value called "interval" to all_you_can_eat, which would mean
"this option is not available at all times". I believe this would be enough
to "kill" all_you_can_eat:opening_hours.

I actually was having the same idea of ftrebien: splitting
all_you_can_eat:type into a new tag. Because to describe the *way* the food
is served is one of my main purposes for creating this proposal. I was
thinking of serving_style, but serving_system is also good.

> serving_system:food=buffet
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffet>/rodízio<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod%C3%ADzio>
> /smörgåsbord <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sm%C3%B6rg%C3%A5sbord>/
> conveyor_belt <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conveyor_belt_sushi>/
> à_la_carte
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%80_la_carte>/korean_barbecue<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_BBQ>
> /table_d'hôte <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_d%27h%C3%B4te>/...

(each of the above values links to it's wikipedia article; you can see each
style's peculiarities)
 It seems there are others, that's why it's important to leave this as an
open set.

The main reason I thought of splitting it into a new tag is because serving
styles like buffet and conveyor belt does not necessarily means
all-you-can-eat.