> And some of these relations (though far from the top of the list) are
> not assigned an admin_centre role, even though the node exists.

btw.: The current definition for administrative relations says that
admin_centre should be used one or no time in the relation, but what if
there is more than one admin_centre, e.g. entities where the administration
is split over 2 (or maybe more) places? My suggestion would be to change
this part of the relation definition in order to allow special cases:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary

> It seems that German capitals follow the pattern capital=[lowest
> admin_level of relations in which the city is admin_centre], except
> Berlin.

because Berlin has the capital=yes (because of current mapnik rules
capital=yes should be preferred over capital=2, as the style sheet only
takes account of capital=yes or not yes:

*https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/project.mml
<https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/project.mml>
).*

*cheers,Martin*