> (because of current mapnik rules capital=yes should be preferred over
> capital=2, as the style sheet only takes account of capital=yes or not yes:
> *https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/project.mml
> <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/project.mml>
> ).*

I disagree with that. capital=yes is ambiguous and capital=2 should be
preferred
Mapnik rules can be changed as time allows.
I wouldn't be surprised capital=yes isn't really used only on "capital=2"
cases.

When there are more than one admin_centre, perhaps we could simply use the
role "label" instead of the role "admin_centre".
It is currently used in states to indicate where to place the node of the
state name, because the administrative centre of a state tends to be the
same as it's capital city administrative centre.
 (example of the label role: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/539668890 )