> Martin - Do you have any suggestion for cleaning up the civic=* subkey I
> was suggesting for building=civic in this way?
>
> I assume we need a big generic key, and then a many subcategories that
> fall under that key.
>
> Building=civic
> +
> civic:legislation=city council ?
> civic:administration=motor_vehicles ?

building is about the _building_ typology. "civic" or "public_building" are
not amongst the building types I'd suggest to use, I'd go for stuff that is
more literal / specific like

building=community_center
building=courthouse
building=government_administration
building=hospital
building=library
building=post_office
building=school
building=church
building=concert_hall
building=university
building=town_hall
building=train_station
building=art_gallery
building=museum

for functions like "city council", "driver and vehicle licensing agency",
"ministry of defense" we should not use the building key (and not even the
building object IMHO) but use a dedicated object and have tags for these
functions. This would maybe better work with subtags, one tag to say
something like: this is a government agency, and another tag to say which
type/function of agency it is.

cheers,
Martin