TL;DR: off-topic, rant, noise

On 12/05/2015, pmailkeey . <pmailk...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 12 May 2015 at 03:26, John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:
>
>> Minor nitpick: desserts are sweet foods, usually eaten at the end of a
>> meal. Deserts are areas with little rainfall, and sparse or no
>> vegetation.
>
> Bearing in mind this context - of general discussion rather than written
> text book - do you know 'desert' was not merely an accidental typo ? In a
> more formal setting, I'd have jumped on it too :)

Yes, just like the typos in "croissant" and "viénoiserie" from that
same email (writen late at night), which John didn't pick on because
they're not on the list of classic English mistakes that some people
like to pick on. And while we're on language show-off mode, a French
person (like me) would never misspell "dessert" for "desert" (except
for typos) because in French the pronounciation differs and matches
the spelling.