> On 09/10/17 21:36, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> The wiki says (undisputed and since version1 in 1/2008): "A runway is a
>> strip of land on an airport, on which aircraft can take off and land.".
>> Under this definition, you could at most map those airstrips as runways
>> that are _on an airport_ (if these exist). Note that it says "airport", not
>> "aerodrome".
>>

> I think you'll find "undisputed" means "unchecked".
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:aeroway says aeroway=runway is a
> "runway of an airfield" and https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Aeroways
> says aeroway=runway is "The area of an aerodrome used for the landing and
> takeoff of aircraft".

yes, I don't think it was a good idea to make so many pages which all
contain definitions for the same tag. The key definition page is OK, but
the "Aeroways" page would have sense tp explain the concepts, give
background information, etc., but it shouldn't be a mere replication of the
aeroway key page. If we don't have anything to say compared to what should
be on the key page, then we could consider removing the page alltogether.

> If I can only map the runways of an airport but not those at an aerodrome
> then how am I supposed to tell them apart? Whereabouts on the wiki is the
> definition of what an airport is?

agreed, I have changed to wording on the runway definition page from
"airport" to aerodrome now, because this is apparently what is agreed, and
because it was already on the Aeroways page.

Cheers,
Martin