> If the same runway-like feature needs
> to be tagged differently depending on if it is located within an
> airport of not (by whatever definition of airport) that is not a very
> good idea for tagging.

I didn't write this definition, but to me it seems to be intended as a
shortcut to say: "within a managed structure, with associated
infrastructure, managed, etc.", so clearly the "same" runway in an airport
and without any airport in proximity is not the "same" thing.

more constructively, you have suggested to tag airstrips as kind of runway,
what about tagging them as kind of aerodrome? There are "already" 14
instances of

aerodrome:type=airstrip

in the data, while the runway key is mostly used for parts of the runway
(like blast pads).

Cheers,
Martin