Op do 9 aug. 2018 om 07:18 schreef Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com>:

> Andy,
>
> Can you please elaborate a bit on the reason for your question ?
> Is it because you want a map with a uniform syntax for multiple names ?
> I assume it is not because  humans do not understand the meaning of
> one of the following forms Biel / Bienne, Biel/Bienne, Biel - Bienne,
> Biel (Bienne)
> Or do you want a uniform system for parsing ?
>
> The name field is just a label. If you want to know the exact name in
> a certain language you look at the name:xx field.
>
> p.s. It is not the first time this question pops up.  Not so long ago
> someone proposed to have a second field that indicates the format in
> which the name field is written.

Funnily enough they were not happy with

fr - nl

in that field though. But anyway, like Marc said, it's really easy to parse
using name:nl and name:fr. And if you really want, you can always put the
separator you prefer in between them in your rendering, or reverse the
order, or drop one of the languages.
Brussels is officially bilingual, so dropping 1 of the languages is not
exactly acceptable either, not for the general name tag anyway.

Polyglot