]
> > p.s. It is not the first time this question pops up.
>
> That can be a sign that something is amiss.

the previous times it popped up was not for consistency reasons, but
to do something on carto-css for osm.org
We do have multiple local tile sets for Belgium, where we do not have
that problem at all.

As a Flemish person it's even annoying that software like OsmAnd
announces the name field and not name:nl
Nobody uses the composed FR-NL name in real live. You always use one
of the two depending on preference or situation.

As someone suggested before, perhaps we should get rid of the usage of
name field for the default osm.org map and let the renderer decide
what (and how) to display names in multi-language areas based on
name:xx fields.
Let the local community assist in setting up those rules for carto-css
(e.g. French before Dutch), but the separator is decided by the map
maker.

All that seems better than starting to change the name (and
addr:street) field of tens of thousands of objects just because
someone does not like the rendering on the default osm.org map.

m.