On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
wrote:

Signs can use different fonts, text size, colours and "line breaks" to
> indicate meaning which cannot be captured in a single line of plain
> text.

A one-minute walk from me is this sign:

Heol Napier
Napier Street

It's possible to indicate this with name:cy and name:en but only one of
those gets rendered.  Which is a bit of
a problem if you get a text message telling you that what you're looking
for is on Napier Street but the map displays
only Heol Napier.  My own opinion is that what is rendered should be what
is on the street sign (I am aware there
are people who strongly hold different views).  To my mind, "Heol Napier /
Napier Street" is the best compromise
until the name field permits, and the renderer honours, line breaks.

Name:xx=* also appears to be a problem in that if it is present some
renderers will display that in place of name=*.
Different renderers have their own idea which of multiple name:xx=* to use
if more than one is present.

Note also that some Welsh signage takes advantage of the different word
order in Welsh and English so you'll
encounter things like "Cyfeithwyr Welch & Co Solicitors" which is an
amalgamation of "Cyfeithwyr Welch & Co"
and "Welch & Co Solicitors."  It can also happen on street signage.

It gets messy, and I feel we do not yet have a perfect solution.

--
Paul