On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 7:08 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With a range like that, that changes so frequently, I think you're stuck with
> =intermittent, maybe with a description= to say that water depth is
> constantly varying between 0.5 & 10m? !

It is not intermittent=yes as zero depth (no water) is never reached.
Only navigability is intermittent.

For clarity, it doesn't change that much in a single month (so, not
that quick), but in some years a month can have mostly a shallow
depth, and in another year the same month can have near the highest
level due to unexpected heavy rain. So I cannot come to a simple
description like "it is always navigable between March and May", as in
some years it will be February to August, others only June, in others
it may be navigable in November for a week or two, etc.

For example, Jaguarão river on the border between Brazil and Uruguay
has oscillated between 147cm and 579cm last month [1][2], being safely
navigable only for a few days, with a minimum of 73cm and maximum of
786cm during the last 10 years. 147cm is barely safe for a large
vessel and the local authority does not currently call it navigable
(it looks like their minimum is 2m to allow vessels with a draft of
1.5m), but says it is navigable when the level rises.

[1] Graph provided by the local authority, depth in blue measured in
cm, rainfall in yellow measured in mm: https://imgur.com/Pc2jqd4
[2] Source, in portuguese:
http://www.smad.rs.gov.br/estacoes/informacaoDaEstacao.php?codigo=88260000

--