On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:59 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 12:32, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Only navigability is intermittent.
>>
>> I think Graeme is suggesting
>>
>> boat=intermittent
>>
>> motorboat=intermittent
>>
>> These values are not documented but make sense.
>
> Sorry, yes, that is what I was suggesting, rather than the river itself is
> intermittent.

Makes sense to me. But I would feel more confident about applying
those values after documenting them in the wiki though.

> Out of interest, how is the river marked on official charts in regard to
> navigability?

In the available official maps that I know about [1][2], I haven't
found anything visual identifying navigable or non-navigable rivers.
Navigability seems to be officially described only in text [3][4].

All of these official references are in Portuguese:

[1] Map of Patos Lagoon, Guaíba Lake and Jacuí Delta, elaborated by
the port authority of Rio Grande, covering the main navigable rivers
and fairways but none of the intermittently navigable ones:
http://www.portoriogrande.com.br/site/hidrovias_carta_nautica.php
[2] Maps from the national Navy; map 2140 covers the same area, none
of the other maps cover the areas with intermittently navigable
rivers: https://www.marinha.mil.br/chm/dados-do-segnav/cartas-raster
[3] Navigability status of non-intermitently-navigable waterways, text
description only:
http://www.portoriogrande.com.br/site/hidrovias_malha_hidroviaria.php
[4] Norms of the state naval authority, chapter 6 describes
navigability for each waterway, but only textually:
https://www.marinha.mil.br/cprs/npcp
[5] Wiki article with all these references and some more:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Brazil/RS/Hidrovias

--
Fernando Trebien