This all makes sense, but the question is: what does
crossing=traffic_lights mean given these contexts? There are at least 3
types of lights and I've seen all of them referred to as "traffic lights",
even on UK government websites:

- Pedestrian signals, i.e. "walk/do not walk" lights of any kind meant to
indicate that pedestrians should cross.
- The traffic lights for street traffic that are specifically associated
with a pedestrian crossing, as in the pelican example - the traffic light
pole also has all of these things: a pedestrian signal, a light for street
traffic (stop/go/etc), and there is generally an APS to request a crossing
signal.
- The traffic lights for street traffic that are not explicitly associated
with a particular crossing. The crossing is still protected by those
lights, there might even be an APS, but the traffic light is located at
highway=traffic_signals, i.e. the center of a street intersection.

The OSM wiki describes crossing=traffic_signals as, "Position this tag
where the crossing-traffic (pedestrian, bicycles) have their own traffic
lights." I still have no idea which of these things that is meant to apply
to. I wouldn't personally consider a intersection-centered traffic light to
be pedestirans' "own" traffic lights, but they have roughly the same
function and impact on pedestrian needs as a pelican crossing, in terms of
traffic. I've been told a few times, on this mailing list, that it does not
apply to pedestrian signals, but that's hard to reconcile with the fact
that pedestrian signals are frequently referred to as "traffic lights" in
many official government documents and guides and trying to understand what
in the world "their own traffic lights" means.

Personally, I think this suggests a need for a separate value or at least
tagging strategy to separate at least these two cases: signals directed at
pedestrians vs. signals directed at street traffic. If there is value in
knowing whether traffic signals are attached to the crossing in some way, I
wouldn't be against that, either.