This discussion is leaving me pretty bewildered.

Sometimes my bewilderment can be alleviated by considering concrete examples.

On my walk yesterday, other than the implied crossing at every
intersection (but see "don't map local law") I noted the following:

1. Combined foot/cycle crossing - a side path from a combined
foot/cycleway onto a very lightly trafficked suburban street. Marked
with signs bearing the silhouette of a bicycle about 50 m in advance
of the crossing. No markings on the pavement. (This crossing is part
of my daily commute. The street that it crosses is quite busy, and the
sign with the bicycle silhouette has no apparent effect on the
drivers. Pedestrians divide into the quick and the dead.)

2. Combined foot/cycle crossing - a combined foot/cycleway crossing a
busy two-lane street at grade. Signage both ~50 m in advance and at
the crossing. Flashing yellow lights (meaning 'proceed with caution')
flank the sign at the crossing. The lights can by turned on by a
pedestrian or cyclist pushing a button. Zebra-stripe pavement
markings.

3. Zebra-stripe pavement markings at an intersection controlled by a
4-way STOP sign.

4. Zebra-stripe pavement markings at an intersection controlled by a
traffic light, with no 'WAIT/WALK' pedestrian signals.

5. Zebra-stripe pavement markings at an intersection controlled by a
traffic light, with 'WAIT/WALK' pedestrian signals, and a countdown
timer giving the seconds remaining to cross.

6. The same, with the pedestrian or cyclist requesting the WALK signal
by pressing a button.

7. Zebra-stripe pavement markings, together with a sign displaying the
silhouette of school children, in the middle of a block in front of a
school. This crossing may be supervised during school
arrival/departure times.

8. Zebra-stripe pedestrian markings delineating the preferred footpath
in a parking field, and running generally perpendicular to the parking
aisles.

And I'm now in confusion about how to tag any of them.