> If the light is purely a warning to both traffic and pedestrians, then
it's not crossing=traffic_signals. If it controls both traffic and
pedestrians (control as in indicating whether they should halt or proceed)
then it's crossing=traffic_signals.  Your situation of warning lights for
traffic strikes me as bizarre and could be argued either way.  Or maybe it
needs crossing=insane_signals.

I think it should be a completely separate tag that specifies exactly what
traffic is being controlled, and by what, with optional levels of
specificity, like most other tags. I would rather have
crossing:stop_sign=no and crossing:street_signals=hawk than
crossing=traffic_signals, for example, because at least everyone can know
what the former means. They can even be presented as simple yes/no
questions.

> I think the clue is in the name: crossing=TRAFFIC_signals.  Also
CROSSING=traffic_signals.  And crossing=traffic_SIGNALS. (...)

The clue-based strategy is clearly not working. There are people on this
mailing list with very strong opinions that disagree regarding the meaning
of this tag. It's easy to sympathize: we've got a tag about a *crossing*
specifying *traffic* signals, but not the exact kind of traffic
(pedestrians are also referred to as traffic) nor signal type aside from it
being lights. There is then all of this implied interpretation regarding
"controls" that always comes up but is both unstated in the wiki and
disagreed on by all.

> Problematic.  What would crossing:traffic_signals even mean other than
traffic lights with an uncontrolled pedestrian crossing.

It would mean there are signals directed at traffic for this crossing. This
is information that cannot be reliable determined from the current schema
because mappers don't know what crossing=traffic_signals means. Many
mappers think it means pedestrian-specific signals. I've met them
in-person! Regarding an "uncontrolled pedestrian crossing", keep in mind
that the wiki calls a crossing "uncontrolled" if it just has markings on
the ground, which disagrees with what uncontrolled actually means
everywhere else.

> Going by what we have at present, it's traffic lights with an
uncontrolled crossing.  Uncontrolled because nothing except common sense
tells pedestrians when to cross. (...)

In that image there are lighted signals telling pedestrians when to cross.
It's those black boxes lower on the poles.

> I don't see the markings as necessary.  They're a secondary element that
may or may not be present depending upon jurisdiction.

Then crossing=traffic_signals does not imply a marked crossing and we're
back at my previous question. You can't have both: either
crossing=traffic_signals implies marked crossings or marked crossings are
not necessary for crossing=traffic_signals. They are contradictory
statements.

If we accept that markings are not necessary for crossing=traffic_signals,
then this tag has the original fundamental problem: despite *other* values
describing markings (crossing=uncontrolled, crossing=unmarked),
traffic_signals does not. Data consumers are left without that information.
Mappers have to grapple with competing tags: do I describe traffic signals
or markings, since I can only choose one?

> I'm not opposed to being able to tag a crossing as having both lights and
markings but I don't see it as necessary (or even very useful).

Making such a decision on behalf of all pedestrians seems a bit premature.
Do all pedestrians, of all needs and preferences, share that dismissal?
Someone with a vision impairment might recognize a ladder crossing more
easily than a 20 cm light 40 meters away. Having a place where pedestrians
should be and cars should not is valuable information for a wheelchair user
(and I'd say most pedestrians). The ground markings are also considered a
right-of-way signal, depending on jurisdiction. They also improve
pedestrian safety. As a pedestrian, *I* want to know that information.

> When to halt or proceed is controlled by the lights, and those would
continue to be the controlling element even if somebody maliciously removed
the road markings.

Unless someone removes the lights or they break down and don't get fixed.
Both can be removed, I'm not sure why this is unique to the situation of
crossings.

"When to halt" is information primarily for planning trips that use street
traffic, which is the origin of this tag: estimating when cars have to
stop.

> The wiki is clear: just road markings. No lights.  No crossing guard.
Just markings.

The wiki says that uncontrolled means no traffic signals (whatever that
means - clearly there's confusion) and there are markings. It doesn't
actually say anything about lights regarding "uncontrolled". It also says
it's equivalent to an American crosswalk. Doesn't say anything about
crossing guards, because in that case it is, sensibly, a separate tag:
supervised=yes/no/*.

And you can see that the actual meaning of "uncontrolled" creeps in. The
wiki is not actually describing an uncontrolled crossing, it's describing a
marked crossing, but every time there is a discussion of
crossing=uncontrolled everybody chimes in with their own ideas of what it
means for a crossing to be controlled. The OSM data is then punished when
mappers attempt to understand the term "uncontrolled": more transit
knowledge could actually lead to worse data.

> Ummm, we're into pedantic parsing again.  Yes, it's a crossing.  A
crossing that has lights controlling both vehicles and pedestrians.  To be
marked as crossing=traffic_signals it must be a crossing which has lights
controlling both.  Lights that may or may not be mounted on the same pole
but which operate in synchrony.

The distinction between "is a" and "has a" is very important for this tag,
it's why crossing=* is a mess. The values should be "is a", because they
are implicitly orthogonal: you either tag crossing=uncontrolled or
crossing=traffic_signals. The crossing "is" an uncontrolled crossing. The
crossing "is" a traffic_signal crossing. But this is wrong: those two
values are not truly orthogonal, they make statements about different
things. A crossing *has* ground markings. A crossing *has* traffic signals.
They are separate properties.

I don't know why this distinction is pedantic. Seems important to me.