> hm, would you consider these traffic lights, or not? It basically depends
on this interpretation whether you should use a different tag or would use
crossing=traffic_lights If you decide for the latter it could still make
sense to add another tag for the specific crossing (sub)type.

Personally, if someone said, "look at that traffic light", I'd assume it
was a light that tells cars when to stop and go and I'd imagine red, amber,
and green lights. I would not think of warning signals as a traffic light,
so I'd need to visit the wiki and try to guess about what tag to use, if
any.

Let's say we did make another tag: crossing=warning_lights. We'd actually
have made the overall problem worse by adding a tag that doesn't describe
pedestrian signals or markings on the ground, forcing mappers to choose
between the types of information they can map.

After these discussions, my preference is for a unique tag for street
traffic signals at crossings:
crossing:street_signal=yes/no/traffic_lights/warning/*, with wording up for
debate.