On 13/09/2019 16:14, Wolfgang Zenker wrote:

That would be kind of redundant, wouldn't it? We already use other tags
for the current function of a building,
I'm repeating much of my of my previous comment, but no, the schema which hijacked building=* to represent the original historical function of a building never took off*. The vast majority of contributors use it for it's current purpose. OSM isn't for the mapping of redundant historical information.

  so building=* is mostly useful
when the uilding does look like it was built for some other function
than it's current one.

How do you know what it was originally used for just from your interpretation of what a building of a certain function should look like? It's just guesswork. How does tagging this perception add to, or improve the quality of the OSM database?

"OpenStreetMap is a place for mapping things that are both /real and current/"

*building:use = 628 167
building!=yes  = 65 221 930

DaveF