On 07.09.2019 11:00, Frederik Ramm wrote:
It is true that this is the canonical way of dealing with things,
however it would be interesting to check how mappers and editing tools
actually use this. We might well find that everyone is confused about this.
[...] I think we cannot simply throw the distinction over board and therefore
I do not agree with Josh, but I also think the distinction is not really
well thought out/well implemented in OSM and needs clarification.

In cases for usage apparently contradicting the building type it often helps the fellow mapper to tag a note that this school building was converted into a hostel, or this church building is used for climbing now.

tom