The graphics in this document are mainly models of current flow, rather
than actual measurements, but it is mentioned that the average current
flow, neglecting wind, is only 0.1 m/s in the Rio de la Plata. Since winds
of 5 m/s are routine according to the paper, the currents vary strongly
based on winds and tides.

See for example the figura on pages 26 to 37 which show the modeled
variation with different wind direction. I don't see a modeling of the
affect of tides - this appears to be the average current over the tidal
cycle? But I admit I have not visited this area.

My main objection is the inclusion of Bahia Samborombon in the estuary. The
charts and satellite images show very little influence from river water in
that area, as well as in the section of coast east of Montevideo.

– Joseph Eisenberg