I've so far stayed out of this discussion because my final thoughts on the matter will I am sure be contentious.

In no order of importance my thoughts are:

1) the idea of basing a the limit on coastline on levels of salinity or average water flows makes as little sense as trying to specify that the "landuse = forest" tag can only be used when there are a specific number of trees growing in a particular area.

2) yes the wiki says coastline should be based on the Mean High Water Spring, but I've long argued that for instance no one in London would say they lived on the coast even though the River Thames is tidal upstream of the city. Hence the border between coastline and water body should be downstream of the tidal influence and is based on "a reasonable estimation of where an observer might suggest the river ends, and the sea begins". Such an estimation is imprecise, not subject to verification, and different observers will have different opinions - get over it. As in point (1) different observers will have different opinions on where a "forest" ends and "scrubland" starts.

3) Due to the needs of the rendering process we have long established that ways tagged "natural = coastline" are a special case.

4) We have existing tags for "tidal = yes" and "estuary=yes", "admin_level = ?" which means it is unnecessary for the coastline tag to be used as a proxy for these.

5) The discussion on what the tag "natural = coastline" actually means has been discussed for so long that it appears almost insolvable.

Given the above.

A) In view of all the points above it is not possible to write a concise definition of what the tag natural = coastline" represents.

B) Until January 2020 we had a reasonably broad agreement on where the coastline should be. Though I recognise, perhaps more than most who have contributed to this thread, that there are still are large number of ways ( particularly in the more sparsely populated areas of the world, or where the OSM community is not large) that are unchanged from the position they were placed in by the PGS imports in 2006.

After much thought my, probably contentious, view  is:

1) We should establish an agreed "OSM Coastline position", which I suggest would approximate to the position of the coastline on 1 January 2020.

2) Any edit which moved the position of the coastline by more than 20Km from the established position should be classed as vandalism, unless such movement had previously been agreed by the community.

David