I’ve not seen a suggestion for this case yet that has any traction. . .

It occurred to me that the area where water flow disappears is indeterminate
[1], thus the problem mapping it.

> Definition of indeterminate:
> 1a : not definitely or precisely determined or fixed : vague
> b : not known in advance
> c : not leading to a definite end or result

Or from my old microprint edition of the Oxford English Dictionary (please
excuse any transcription errors):

> 1. Not definitely set down; undetermined.
> 2. Not fixed in extent, number, character or nature; left uncertain as to
> limits of extent, number, etc.; of uncertain size or character; indefinite,
> indistinct, uncertain.

Perhaps a “indeterminate=yes” tag on the last node of a water way that “peters
out” [2] could be used to signal the QA tools that the end of a water way is
not a mistake. Might be useful in cases other than an ephemeral water way in
the desert though I haven’t thought of one yet.

Cheers!
Tod

[1] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/indeterminate
[2] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peter%20out