Thanks everyone for the discussion.

I believe there are two germane points being raised by Tomas that warrant
our consideration:

1. It is not clear from the original 2011 vote which created
water=reservoir (and other values) as to whether the community intended to
deprecate landuse=reservoir or whether the community intended to create two
parallel tagging schemes for the same object.

2. There is some subset of the user base that uses and/or prefers
landuse=reservoir over, or in addition to, water=reservoir.  The iD editor
preset appears to use water=reservoir while the JOSM preset appears to use
landuse=reservoir.  It is unclear whether there is actually a strong user
base preference for either tag or whether the numbers simply reflect the
presets in the editors that users happen to use.  There is also no way to
determine from these discussions alone the size of community support for
either scheme, particularly if such support is factional within non
English-speaking communities.

Given these issues, I would suggest a narrowly-written proposal that puts
forth the clear and specific question as to whether landuse=reservoir
should be deprecated.  If that proposal demonstrates clear community
consensus for deprecation (per the guidelines in our proposal process), we
can update our wiki documentation to explicitly recommend that
landuse=reservoir be gradually replaced by natural=water+water=reservoir.
If, instead, that proposal demonstrates that there is still a sizable
subset of mappers that prefer the landuse=reservoir tag, we would simply
leave both tags documented without caveats, noting the results of both this
and the 2011 proposals, and allow the community to sort out which tagging
scheme is preferred based on actual usage over time.

As I am the one that raised this issue in the first place, I would be happy
to draft such a proposal for consideration.  I want to be clear that in
such a proposal, any instances of disrespectful or insulting commentary
directed towards any group or individual will not be tolerated and will be
immediately brought to the attention of the wiki admins for followup.

Would this be satisfactory to the group in resolving the question of
reservoir tagging?