On Oct 9, 2022, at 4:15 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10 Oct 2022, at 00:15, stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:
>>
>> If this water is potable, it's amenity=drinking_water.
>
> yes, it is potable, and if you look closely you’ll notice that the tube has
> an upper hole, so when you tap the flow it will create a vertical spout in
> the curve, so somehow it does have an upward flow.

That's clever, I haven't seen that; seems like it would work well.  I'll have
to try it (plugging the downward flow, forcing upward flow, so that I can drink
with my lips) next time I encounter one of these (or even this one).

> There is no tap, continuous flow, which is best from a hygienic and
> temperature aspect but wasting some water of course.

Yes, some "fountains" (for drinking water) are like this.  I suppose somebody
figured "well, the drainage is good" (or even improved, as here with a grate to
a wastewater system, apparently) and "well, it doesn't make (hydrological)
sense for us to 'plug' this with a 'tap' (spigot, faucet, valve...), so we'll
simply allow it to remain free-flowing."  OK.

> I have looked at the drinking fountain article in en.wikipedia and from 14
> examples, only 4 have an upward flow, so I would not expect this to be a
> universal requirement, although I can imagine in some areas all drinking
> fountains might work like this. In Rome they are very rare, have seen only
> those in the sapienza university, while the hundreds of others in the city
> almost always provide the hole so you can redirect the flow (but it is not
> generally the case in other places nearby)

I am learning to be more flexible in "drinking fountains must have upward
flow."  In my experience, what I call "drinking fountains" (what some call a
"bubbler") DO have upward flow, either nearly always or always.  It seems this
is because of a lack of cultural exposer to wider concepts of "fountain" around
the world, so I'm happy to have my understanding of the word "fountain" be
expanded to include this.  I am not so naïve as to think that because I haven't
seen a wider definition of something that my narrow definition is correct; no.

>> Is it a fountain? Long sigh...I suppose so, but "fountain" wouldn't be the
>> first word I think of for this.  I wouldn't call it a "drinking fountain,"
>> though (downward flow), though you can fill a water bottle and you could
>> wash your hands.
>
> I’ve mapped it with fountain=block, for me it is a modern fountain, with a
> reference to the historic type (type of tube) but mimicking the normal stone
> blocks around. By shape it is less fountain than the Bolsena example, and the
> absence of a water tap doesn’t offer this kind of “side tracking”, so I
> thought it could be interesting mentioning it.

That works for me.  And, it is interesting.  These entire threads are.  Thanks
for the good (and sometimes tedious, but worth it) dialog.