sent from a phone

> On 10 Oct 2022, at 01:31, stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:
>
>  I suppose somebody figured "well, the drainage is good" (or even improved,
> as here with a grate to a wastewater system, apparently)

yes, these are always connected via a grate with the sewers

> and "well, it doesn't make (hydrological) sense for us to 'plug' this with a
> 'tap' (spigot, faucet, valve...), so we'll simply allow it to remain
> free-flowing."  OK.

I’ve learnt initially at least some of them were required in some areas to have
sufficient water in the sewers in all conditions, but most of them are probably
just a small contribution to the amount of wasted water through old and leaking
supply systems (I once read London was loosing a quarter of the fresh water
through leakage, it’s a common phenomenon in many big cities)

Cheers Martin