> I just don't see the value even if everything was done right.
>
> That is simply utterly irrelevant. Even if you do not see value of mapping
> area:highway=* or shops or detail of individual trees or opening hours
> or bicycle parkings or landuse or glaciers or anything else, then it is
> still not
> a valid reason to ask others to justify themself.

Wait, why? What's wrong with asking what value is there in doing this? This
is supposed to be where the conversation starts: "[this list] is for tag
discussion, strategy and related tools." Is it strategic to have a Zone
which does not convey information or have value in OSM? Is this a place to
ask what value people are currently getting from these zones? While I value
your contributions on the wiki, I feel like you're talking past me: what
value is there in Commercial, Residential, and Industrial zones? To direct
quote what I said earlier,

* If there is one Commercial Building in an unnamed Commercial Zone: what
value is there for a user?
* If there are two Commercial Buildings in an unnamed Commercial Zone: what
value is there for a user?
* If there are 20 Commercial Buildings in an unnamed Commercial Zone: what
value is there for a user?

Likewise, if there are violations inside the zone and they're not
homogenous how does that affect the value?

> For example, a post office would have the landuse
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=commercial
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dcommercial> tag, because
they offer a service, rather than a good. However, if the post office is in
a shopping centre with 8 other shops, this tag would be used.

So it's permitted to have a "Commercial" Post Office in a retail zone, and
it's permitted to make the zones infinitely small. So a retail zone may
include a neighboring post office, or you could voluntarily break the post
office off into a zone by itself? I just don't understand how people intend
to use these. But feel free to talk about _any_ of the ways listed in my OT
and tell me how they benefit OSM. I just want to know why they're valuable.

Likewise,

>  For "Mixed-Use" areas where more than half of the land is residential,
tag as residential.

How is knowing "more than half" of the land is residential useful to a user
when without the zone they would otherwise know _exactly_ what is
residential, commercial, and industrial.

--
In the event this email pertains to Real Estate, Texas law
<https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=22&pt=23&ch=531&rl=20>

--
Evan Carroll - m...@evancarroll.com
System Lord of the Internets