I am no expert on the subject but from what I see in my part of California
things can get very confusing.

Take, for example, the toll roads in my area. They are, I believe, owned by a
toll road authority which is a governmental entity specifically created to
finance, build and manage the toll roads in the county. But the toll road
authority contracts to the state department of transportation (CalTrans) to
perform maintenance operations. While CalTrans crews will do minor maintenance
(repair potholes, guard rails, signs) anything major is bid out by CalTrans to
private contractors. For what it is worth, the toll roads are marked with state
highway signs and numbers which might lead you to think the road belongs to the
state.

So who do you report a maintenance problem to? I think CalTrans but am not sure.

And who is the operator? The toll road authority collects the tolls. For a
private business the entity that collects admission fees is likely the operator
of the venue. Using that analogy, the toll road authority is the operator. Or
is CalTrans, the entity that maintains the road, the operator?

Greg mentions that in his part of the US the government doesn’t own the land
along the highway. I don’t believe that is true for most of the US. The “right
of way” includes a lot more land than just where the pavement is located. It
includes all land that had to be modified to put the road in (side drainage
ditches, cuts, fills, etc.). For a rural two lane road the pavement is likely
only 24 feet wide while the right of way is likely to be around 100 feet wide.
In rural areas there is often a barbed wire fence running along the boundary of
the right of way making it pretty obvious how wide it is.

—Tod