On 16.04.2023 16:55, Greg Troxel wrote:

If we look at this from a data perspective, the most important
information for us to capture /today/ is which public entity type owns
the road and put this in the ownership tag. The specific entity can be
derived geographically with probably 100% accuracy. If we have the
specific entity available in a data set, we can put this in the owner
tag. If the operator at some point in the future again diverges from
the owner (like with the county roads), we can put that in operator.
You need to define schema for the code points in "ownership".  They are
far from obvious.

It seems this is already defined. The suggestion to use ownership=* wasn't mine, but looking at the wiki page it seems to fit quite well. Do you think the existing schema for ownership=* is missing something?

You are defining a rule that one can use "ownership" and admin
boundaries to find a value for "owner".  That's ok, but it needs to be
clearly documented.  It's easy for a human to stick something in and
think they have communicated, but it's much harder for a data consumer
to get it right.
You are defining a rule that "operator" should, if missing, be presumed
to be the same entity as "owner".  That's ok, but it needs to be very
clear.

Isn't it a general assumption for everything that the owner is the operator by default? I'm not saying "isn't it always true", but isn't that generally the assumption if no other information is presented?

Are you suggesting we expand the existing wiki page on ownership=* with that clarification (as it relates to roads, anyway)?

Basically I am asking you to think through the situation more broadly,
for realities not matching yours and data consumers other than the ones
you are contemplating, and I feel this is too much of a hack for a point
problem.  Maybe you meant all of what I am asking, but it seems very
much too implicit.

What is a point problem?

Cheers,

Jens