I wish to remain restrained in my reply here.

> Isn't it a general assumption for everything that the owner is the operator
> by default? I'm not saying "isn't it always true", but isn't that generally
> the assumption if no other information is presented?

An obviously dangerous slope to slip down here and may be a significant place
where misunderstandings are rampant.  There remain fundamental
misunderstandings that owner and operator are large, difficult topics to
distinctly assign.  (I think of railways and my reaction is "Sheesh!")  Yes, it
could be said that in some contexts, "it would be appropriate to assume" (it
might be risky, let's not call it dangerous) that the owner is the operator.
Then, there are entire WORLDS where that is not true and you had darn well
better look at both owner and operator tag, or you will be lost.  Adjust one's
lenses, please.

> Are you suggesting we expand the existing wiki page on ownership=* with that
> clarification (as it relates to roads, anyway)?
>
>> Basically I am asking you to think through the situation more broadly,
>> for realities not matching yours and data consumers other than the ones
>> you are contemplating, and I feel this is too much of a hack for a point
>> problem.  Maybe you meant all of what I am asking, but it seems very
>> much too implicit.

I don't want to seem like an old sage, but I have seen this sort of behavior
with actual misunderstandings, often or frequently it is cultural.  Where
concepts of ownership and operators are really quite different in many, most or
even all circumstances.  There are more than eight billion of us.  It's good we
have the tags, and even better use them.  It might be even more important to
emphasize that "these tags and the assumptions about them vary wildly on planet
Earth."  We could stretch them, better agree to more widely understand them or
both.

Yes, being broad-minded is a swig of refreshment in these environments.  We can
do this.  Tag:  tag well.  Where that isn't good enough, document, like in a
wiki or something like that.

> What is a point problem?

Mmm, that IS a good question.