On 14/4/23 08:14, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 at 03:06, Tod Fitch <t...@fitchfamily.org> wrote:

    the toll roads in my area. They are, I believe, owned by a toll
    road authority

Owned, or leased?

Around here, toll roads & bridges are built by the Govt, using public funds, then the actual operation is leased to a private company, who collects the toll fees, in return for doing something, but I'm not sure what?

Around me, the toll roads and bridges are built and then operated by private companies for some time (10's of years) at the end the roads and bridges are returned to public ownership. The one case I am aware of where the return occurred .. the roads were in such condition they needed a lot of work to return them to a reasonable condition...