On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 10:58, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 09:34, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> 2. Depending on the answer to the above, do we need to add TfNSW to the
>>> List of Conributors in the wiki?  and does the waiver need to published in
>>> the wiki?
>>>

>> Yes, if the data is used in OpenStreetMap, per the waiver agreement we
>> need to add attribution at
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#New_South_Wales_Government_data,
>> specifying which dataset we used and providing the attribution.
>>

> Would that need to be listed as the Source (eg GTFS data) against
> individual nodes (bus stops)?

It's not a legal requirement, that's why we ask for the waiver so that we
can provide attribution on the Contributors page, and not need to tag this
on every object.

The problem with the source tag on objects is there are usually a few
different sources, and different sources for the existence, location of the
object and then different sources for each tag. Then over time as other
contributors change tags, the source tag can become incorrect. What's worse
is if people feel like they can't edit an object since it's got a source
tag then it looks like an import that can't be touched.

I still add source to individual objects where I can, and change existing
source tags if I modify an object in a way that the original source no
longer applies, but it's not mandatory.

You should at a minimum specify the source on the changeset though, that's
helpful for other mappers to understand an edit.