Thanks for putting that effort in, Andrew. I've played devil's advocate and
added the reasons "why not" to your page: really it all concerns bad or
rather, incomplete, rendering choices.

This is actually on my mind right now, as this Saturday passed I rode from
Forster to Newcastle via the paths and roads through Myall Lakes NP. I was
horrendously confused at one stage, when all the maps (yes, both GMaps and
OSM both) had Mungo Brush Rd in the wrong location. It was relocated in
2019 (!) as per
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/topics/parks-reserves-and-protected-areas/park-management/community-engagement/relocating-mungo-brush-road-myall-lakes-national-park
. See my changeset https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/116520666 for
the update.

There were also some trails earlier in my ride that were closed, and in the
interest of not-self-incriminating I would certainly not admit to
attempting to traverse them or getting somewhat lost and trekking through
swamp in the progress, definitely not. But my subsequent OSM updates ran up
against how to tag them as closed temporarily, and my searching led me to
put these tags on a certain walking path:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/403832368#map=16/-32.5573/152.2856 Please
advise if I'm going about that the right way with the conditional:foot and
:bicycles tag.

I'm also contemplating attempting this (ahem) leisurely walk [
http://www.john.chapman.name/nsw-tops.html], after seeing it tagged for a
short length of trail in OSM at [
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/700619505]... I'm guessing adding it is a
no-go until I actually walk it myself, given the last documentation of it
dates to 2000 and I will have to go to the local library to get ahold of
the book mentioned.