> On 25 Jan 2022, at 2:46 pm, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 00:11, Josh Marshall <josh.p.marsh...@gmail.com
> <mailto:josh.p.marsh...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> my searching led me to put these tags on a certain walking path:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/403832368#map=16/-32.5573/152.2856
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/403832368#map=16/-32.5573/152.2856> Please
> advise if I'm going about that the right way with the conditional:foot and
> :bicycles tag.
>
> Looks good, I see someone added these foot:conditional examples now to
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australia/Walking_Tracks
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australia/Walking_Tracks> which is very
> helpful.

Yes, that was me, thought it better to just put them in there rather than just
having a howto hidden in the email archive for the list, after it took me a
little while to work it out.

I’m guessing you added this section Andrew, there’s a bit of ambiguity with the
final row on the table of examples which says...

> Off-track when not part of an official walking route  Walking routes
> off-track without any signage or official route. Should not be mapped in OSM
> at all, or if they are controversially edited consider not:highway=* with a
> note=* indicating why it should not be mapped.

Should this be limited to “within National Parks areas” or something to that
effect? It contradicts the Informal Walking Track row higher up. I’m invested
here… there are tons of trails in my area which I believe to be private land
but have landowners that don’t mind the access, or may be crown land but public
access, but either way have some well-maintained trails by volunteers. See the
network of trails at https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-32.98762/151.70793
for instance.