I tend to agree with you as far as creating child relations for the routes
goes. It was an experiment of mine. There is no support for it in the
editors, nor the renderers, so I'll probably let it go. It seems like a more
maintainable way to do things, to me, but I'm standing alone in this. An
other way of doing it, might be 'proto-relations' and 'routeparts', which
get converted to the route relations by a script.

Concerning those 4-digit numbers of the lines. They can be found on those
displays which are meant for the drivers (only in the bigger terminals). By
naming the routes De Lijn xxxx, all the bus routes of De Lijn get sorted
together in the relations subwindow. You complain about people starting new
routes, when a route already exists, well this was already happening. (395
is one that I found yesterday). Naming them in an unambiguous way and
sorting them all together, will avoid people creating route relations more
than once.

I don't agree concerning the route per direction of a bus line. This is the
best way to unambiguously indicate where the buses are travelling. I just
added line 179 between Etterbeek and Leuven (Fast bus that only runs on
Fridays and Sundays between VUB and Hamont). The two directions of this line
are almost completely separate (since it travels over Bvd. Général Jacques
then E40, then the ring of Leuven). By creating a route per direction, one
obtains a long sequence of consecutive segments. By combining the 2
directions, this is not possible.

We are not simply creating a graphical map, we have to think of being able
to use this data for routing eventually. Even when today this is not
possible yet.

Jo