On Friday 11 November 2011 11:34:21 Sander Deryckere wrote:
> The page on maxspeed is this one:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed
>
> The page you gave is a page that explains the possibilities to tag the
> source of the maxspeed (a sign, or a missing sign). In general, sources are
> only useful to help other mappers or yourself. So if you have the correct
> maxspeed tag on the roads, there's not really a need to tag the source.

On the contrary, if you tag a street without a traffic sign with maxspeed=90,
and our government suddenly decides that 70 ought to be enough for streets
outside built-up areas (the Flemish government wants to do that) it would be
easier to know which roads should be retagged and on which roads there are
actually signs with "90" if we know the reason why it's tagged with that
maxspeed.

Greetings
Ben