On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Ben Laenen <benlae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 November 2012 23:38:18 Jan-willem De Bleser wrote:
>> I have only one issue. The license says they retain all their IP
>> rights, so is this compatible with the contributor terms of OSM? Or,
>> are we maybe creating a derivative work when we map based on their
>> data?
>
> Every mapper keeps the IP rights over the data he contributed to OSM. But we
> license our work (with the contributor terms) to the OSM project so they can
> use our work. That's why they needed everyone's agreement when they moved to
> ODbL.
>
> If you really want you can always take your own contributed data and sell it
> for example. You own it so you can do what you want with it.

That's kind of my point. If we just import the data as-is, then
obviously it's Antwerp who is the IP holder. However, I assume we're
not just going to import the data as is, but rather merge it into the
existing data, check for errors, tag it and such, which I assume would
then make it a derivative work owned by whomever does the integration.

It's probably best if we just contact them, rather than trying to
guess and second-guess the license here :)

- Jw