On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:38:18PM +0100, Jan-willem De Bleser wrote:
> Another relevant point in the license:
>
> "De toegekende rechten hebben betrekking op: ... De samenstelling van
> collaboratieve databases - Het maken van tijdelijke of permanente, en
> geheel of gedeeltelijke reproducties met om het even welk middel en in
> om het even welke vorm, met inbegrip van afgeleide databases of als
> geheel van collaboratieve databases - Het geheel of gedeeltelijk
> verspreiden, mededelen, bekendmaken, verhuren, ter beschikking stellen
> of publiek verspreiden van de informatie, met om het even welk middel
> en in om het even welke vorm, met inbegrip van afgeleide databases of
> als deel aan een collaboratieve database"
>
> They're talking to us here, I believe. They've obviously foreseen that
> groups like OSM and companies like, say, Foursquare, will want to use
> this data.
>
> I have only one issue. The license says they retain all their IP
> rights, so is this compatible with the contributor terms of OSM? Or,
> are we maybe creating a derivative work when we map based on their
> data?

It also says:
"De gebruiker mag deze licentie alleen overdragen aan een derde
partij met de schriftelijke toestemming van de licentiegever"

It think that basicly prevents us from using it, it basicly says
we can't distribute it to other people without their written
permission.  So if we ask them something, we should have it
in writing.  And I guess it would make sense to them if we
were an organisation like a vzm/asbl.

Also note that the license of osm doesn't have the same
requirements as theirs, and users of osm would not be
aware of that.  I think this might also create a legal
problem.

Kurt