On Thursday 27 December 2012 22:05:17 Glenn Plas wrote:
> There is a simple rule I use, which is being used for certain in plenty
> of countries like UK and described in the OSM wiki.   A primary road is
> a road that connects larger cities, so a N road between 2 small town
> would be secondary.  I think it matters that you look at the whole road
> with the same reference.  That is the cities you look at.

UK doesn't use a rule like that, they're even much more strict than us using
road numbers...

> How much traffic passes over it, doesn't really matter.   For instance,
> the N1 Mechelen-Brussel, someone tagged the part through Vilvoorde as
> secondary.  Since Mechelen, Vilvoorde and Brussel counts as a
> connection through big cities plus, well ... It's number 1 of the
> N-class roads.

I haven't really checked the situation in Vilvoorde, but one of the "rules" is
that within a city center, primary becomes secondary if there's a ringway that
will connect to the other primary roads to the city.

For example:
http://osm.org/go/0Eg4Fgm
N8 is secondary in Zwevegem, since the N391 was made to create a ringway
around Zwevegem.

http://osm.org/go/0EpYdO2L
N1 crosses centre of Antwerp, but becomes secondary within the Singel.

I guess someone did something similar in Vilvoorde with the R22. Whether that
should be done, not really sure here.

I also wanted to point at Tienen, but I see it has been recently changed by
someone: http://osm.org/go/0EqQDB8
There's the N29 coming in from the north, and the N3/N29 should stay primary
because there's no ringway on the north. Now someone changed it to secondary
which is incorrect IMO.

Ben