2012/12/27 Jo <winfi...@gmail.com>

> Now that we're on the subject of road classification, The northern part of
> the ring of Leuven has separate lanes for both directions, no traffic
> lights, on and off ramps like a motorway and the maximum speed is 90 km/h
> (a rare occurence these days in Flanders).
> The southern part has crossings with traffic lights and a speed limit of
> 50 km/h, complete with a truckload of traffic cams to enforce it.
>
> At some point I had tagged the northern part as trunk, since it's  far
> more interesting to go that way from east to west or west to east, so why
> wouldn't we visualise that on a rendered map? Somebody retagged the whole
> ring road as primary afterwards and I left it as such, since I didn't feel
> like starting an edit war. It still feels like a missed chance to be the
> better map though.
>
> Jo

There has been some German discussion about what "trunk" means after all.
And it's relevant for Belgium too. As the "autoweg" sign has absolutely no
meaning. The maximum speed is the same as for normal roads (120 when there
are separate lanes, 90 default and 50 in residential area), so that sign
really has no meaning.

The (or at least some) Germans wanted to use "trunk" for the types of road
where slow traffic is forbidden (no agricultural traffic and no bicycles).
I think that's a far better definition than our current trunk definition.

Regards,
Sander